Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Staff

We interviewed our first potential staff member on Saturday....now there's an uncomfortable experience. Discussing with someone whether washing our floors, cleaning our bathrooms and doing our laundry was something they were happy to take on leaves me feeling elitist, lazy and fundamentally awkward. Add to that the fact that she would be riding her motorbike over an hour each way for the privilege, all for a ridiculously small salary in Australian terms and the whole things just feels like exploitation.

Unfortunately for me, having staff is an inherent part of the culture here. Those who can afford to employ those less fortunate, thus providing, in effect, a level of social welfare. For Westerners, it is expected as we are obviously better off than the general population and to abstain would be incomprehensible, if not actually rude. Already I have being looked at askance for venturing out with two children and no nanny in sight. People seem shocked to find me in the nursing room changing my baby's nappy, or struggling to manage the stroller, kids and groceries. Walking down the street invokes a flood of beeping as the taxis all try to garner business, since obviously I need a ride - who would walk?

Then there's the driver, who I'm much more willing to admit is indispensable. Not only have I no idea where I'm going 90% of the time, I'm 100% intimidated by the driving here. Being used to "country town" driving, I'm nowhere near assertive enough to drive in Jakarta. Put me behind the wheel and I'd be lucky to make it out the gate - even with the friendly security guard standing in the middle of the road with a stop sign! But, necessity aside, I still feel guilty wandering around the mall knowing someone is just sitting in the carpark waiting for me to finish (albeit he's probably actually chin-wagging with the other drivers and enjoying himself!). It's also hard to get used to the idea that he'd actually rather work & get the money - our first Sunday I thought I'd do the driver a favour and suggest we didn't need him (he might like some time at home with his family right?). Last Friday, he managed to convey to me that he was available, and would prefer, to work this Sunday.

Since we're looking to move into an apartment, we're saved from employed the other usual household helpers - day and night guards, gardener, houseboy, cook, maid, the list goes on! In fact, that may be one of the reasons we're looking at apartment living - hopefully we can get away with a driver and one household helper or pembantu....although the next one interviewed kept suggesting we should be having at least two, and probably three (apparently we definitely need a nanny)! We're stopping at one, and no nanny - we'll fit in with the system, but only so far! Oh, and she'll be banned from tidying up after Eamon (& Rory once he starts leaving his toys around) - I have no desire to become a full-time pembantu on return to Australia!!




3 comments:

  1. As a proud Canberra, I'm obviously offended by the 'country town' remark but then this sure ain't Jakarta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of it less as first world imperialism and more as exploring alternate ways of living... thats why we travel - to see the world through different eyes so that we have a greater understanding of ourselves and of others! And because the big wide world is basically awesome.

    If in future blogs you start referring to yourself as 'HRH Rochelle' I'll get somebody braver than I to suggest you might be taking it all too seriously.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And while I think of it - if you start carrying a small dog in a handbag and employing a nanny for it.... that's when you should feel awkward.

    ReplyDelete